Foreign trademark protection

What if I want to have my mark registered in other countries?

  • If your products are to be sold in other countries, you may wish to register trademarks in those countries. A Foreign Trademark Registration is generally acquired on a country-by-country basis, and trademarks registered in foreign countries do not affect your registration of the mark in the United States.
  • If a trademark is already owned or an application has already been filed in the United States, the owner may file for foreign protection under the Madrid Protocol, rather than filing in each country separately. Filing under the Madrid Protocol can reduce costs considerably if more than one foreign registration is sought.
  • Shaver & Swanson, LLP has a network of international trademark attorneys that can handle your trademark protection needs anywhere in the world.